How Do Commit Someone for Alcohol and Drug Treatment?

Question by chocolate: How do commit someone for alcohol and drug treatment?
My mother is an alcoholic and drug user. She needs to be committed to a treatment center but she will not go. Last week she slit her wrists and went to the emergency room (50 stitches) but they let her go. I did not know until afterward that she had done this. How can I have her committed if she won’t go on her own? If she attemps suicide again, can I have her committed? Thanks.

Best answer:

Answer by mouses1
Go to your local court house.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!


Alastair Campbell interview: 'Britain is a problem-drinking country. It's time

Filed under: alcohol and drug treatment centers

We spend more than £2bn on drug rehab but just 91m on alcohol treatment. “It can't go on but it's getting worse. Liver disease is the only major disease that's rising in the UK of all the OECD countries. Russia has even had some success with minimum …
Read more on The Independent


Mural offers recovery by art

Filed under: alcohol and drug treatment centers

She lost custody of her two children by her second marriage because she couldn't pay her bills as she careened from using drugs to using alcohol because she wasn't taking drugs to using alcohol and back again. “I'd drink two or … He sent her to …
Read more on Marion Star


White People, White Lies & Whiteclay: Pine Ridge Finally Fights Back

Filed under: alcohol and drug treatment centers

To be sure, there is a spiritual component to alcohol abuse—but there is also a similar spiritual component to whenever we abuse ourselves by alcoholism, obesity, drug abuse, sex addiction, deadbeat daddy-ism, or any compulsive behavior! …. I hope …
Read more on Indian Country Today Media Network


2 Responses to How Do Commit Someone for Alcohol and Drug Treatment?

  • notyou311 says:

    It is next to impossible to commit an adult. Tell your Dr. that she is a danger to herself and others.

  • pfloydie says:

    It may depend on the state you live in – the laws vary I would think — It is VERY strange to me that the hospital released her after she hurt herself like that – if (GOD FORBID) she hurts herself again – personnally I would sue the hospital for negligence!! Obviously your mother is very troubled and needs help, I would get more of your family involved in your crusade to help her, your father, grandparents, sisters, brothers etc.. . .if you know who is supplying her drugs — I would call the police and report them as drug sellers so they get out of her life – If you find alcohol in the house – dump it down the drain, take pills and knives etc and hide them or lock them up in a lock box.. . tell her you need her to be healthy if not for herself – for you!! Tell her you need her and that you can help her get through this hard time, I tried to kill myself twice in my lifetime after about 10 years I am finally in the clear ( i was having drug problems ) I know how she feels right now and trust me she is not thinking of anyone but herself right now – tell her you cannot bear to bury your own mother — she needs help no matter how impossible things seem right now. . . .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *